Wednesday, April 17, 2019

Fr. James V. Schall, S.J., has died at the age of 91

 
Carl Olsen writes an obit at Crisis Magazine.  He neglected to mention the Ignatius Press book Another Sort of Learning which I have in my library and now I will have to read it again.  Fr. Schall wrote about his book in 2009 here at The Catholic Thing and it sounds very timely even 31 years after publication.
 
"This book is designed to bypass the colleges without denying their existence. I have always thought that anyone can get an education if he can read, something I learned from both Samuel Johnson and my friend Anne Burleigh. Reading has the great advantage of making an end run around academic correctness, wherein little theoretic order is to be found. Reading can take us to things that no one in the schools tells us about. The problem is, as always, “What to read?”

No comments: