Tuesday, April 08, 2003

The first talk that Fr. Groeschel gave on last weekend’s retreat set the tone of the retreat. He talked about 2 different ways a person can be a Catholic. The first way was as a “Church Person”, someone involved in various parish activities, one who followed the “rules”, one who contributes greatly to the running of a parish. The Church Person could be a very wonderful Catholic. The second way was to be a Disciple. This was someone who revolved their life around Christ and who is more inclined to seek spiritual perfection than become an avid volunteer at the parish. (I have yet to take notes at any events I attend so these words are all mine, this is just what I remember) Fr. Groeschel emphasized that neither way was the “correct” way to be a Catholic but made it pretty clear on the retreat that he preferred people to become Disciples more so than Church Persons. Church People are depressed right now because of the scandals but Disciples are energized and realize this is the time for evangelization. He emphasized how important it was to get involved in the parish and diocese however, which made me think I should do something. I have neglected to get involved in any official organization or group since I think there is so much garbage out there. Still, more than getting involved in groups or following the rules, Groeschel wants people to study the bible, pray, and do works of mercy. I am not doing a good job of describing his talks (I should start taking notes) but I was impressed with his idea.

No comments: