Friday, May 23, 2003

Bow your head!!

When I attend the traditional latin mass we genuflect during the lines in the Creed: “By the power of the Holy Spirit, He was born of the Virgin Mary and became man”. One of the post Vatican II changes in the Mass was to change this to a bow which I consider to be a positive change. It is easier, less awkward and quieter. For some reason though, no one at my parish does this. I never used to do it either until I started to attend the traditional mass. At Midnight Mass this year, the pastor announced that the Church invites us to kneel, but then he proceeded to forget, and he (and everyone else) knelt a line too late. Hopefully this will be taught more with the introduction of the new GIRM. When I do this, especially when I close my eyes, it really hits me that what I am saying (praying) is an incredible and real thing.

No comments: