Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Mel Gibson and Me

What a week so far! First, Jeff Miller advises me that my blog inspired the name for the great Genesis X parody blog. Now it turns out I am 2.5 degrees of separation from Mel Gibson! Tonight I attended a night of recollection run by Lay Preachers at Kellenberg Memorial High School's retreat house. The evening consisted of an hour of Adoration, then a catered dinner, then a talk by Fr. Andrew Apostoli, then a Mass. (Fr. Apostoli just offered the funeral Mass for his mother yesterday-she died peacefully in her sleep). The dinner and talk was in a new room in the retreat house that is stunning-it is a huge room filled with stained glass windows, intricate woodwork and overlooks an incredible garden. It was designed by and built under the supervision of Fr. Philip Eichner, the president of Kellenberg and former president of my alma mater, Chaminade. When I got home, I read the new Catalyst, the newsletter of the Catholic League. Fr. Eichner also happens to be the chairman of the league's board of directors and as such was able to view a copy of Mel’s Passion movie with him. Mel also joined the Catholic League while he visited their Manhattan offices. So I was just in a room designed by the priest who recently viewed Mel’s movie with him. Ok, that IS a pretty stupid degree of separation! I still can't wait to see this movie though.

No comments: