Monday, October 27, 2003

More on the retreat --

First, please pray for a young man who attended who feels a call to the priesthood. Also, prayers would be appreciated for a man who is torn over his beliefs. He was raised Catholic, became a Baptist in his 20's and now feels pulled towards the Church. He told me he attends his Baptist church on Sunday, but a Catholic Church during the week. He was very sincere and searching, and thankfully, he spent a lot of time talking with a couple of the Friars and the Sister of Life. He was very impressed with them and hopefully they were a help to him.

The retreat was filled with charismatic-type elements--the music was praise and worship, many of the young people raised their hands when singing or praying, and many more sat on the floor during Adoration or even prostrated themselves before the Blessed Sacrament. At first I did not know what to make of this, my friend said she watched me during the first song at the beginning of the retreat to see my reaction. Honestly, I like some of the praise and worship stuff, and some of the songs were quite inspiring. I also have to say that I like sitting on the floor of the chapel for Adoration more than in the chairs. Overall, the retreat made a great impression on me and many others so regardless of style or personal preference, the retreat was a success. The Friars have a knack for balancing enthusiastic praise with traditional devotions and it worked!

No comments: