Saturday, January 17, 2004

GEN X REVERT - BLOGOVERSARY!

January 18th, 2003 = 1 year

I forget exactly how I discovered it but when I saw Gerard’s list of Catholic Blogs I became hooked on reading them. I then started to comment on many of them and eventually figured I needed to start a blog of my own since commenting was just not enough. I noticed that the blogs in St. Blog’s sometimes contained comments from people who are less than happy with their Catholic upbringing or the horrible “Situation” of corruption in the Church. I had 16 years of Catholic school and never a bad experience in the Church. By starting my own blog I thought I could share the positive things I have found with others and counter the negativity I read. In this aspect my year of blogging was a miserable failure. I fell into the trap of reacting to other posts, news stories, and info on the net and mostly the reactions were critical or negative. I think this is still valuable but I wanted my blog to be positive and it has not always been. For my New Year’s resolution I am going to try to make it more positive, not by ignoring bad stuff or by never criticizing, but by trying to again share some of my positive experiences as a Catholic. I don’t know how much longer I am going to blog, it is still fun but I don’t think I have many profound things to say. I try to stick to areas of life involving Catholicism specifically and leave out other interests. (I am a big Rolling Stones fan-which you might guess from the way I introduced myself in my very first post).

The St. Blog’s parish is filled with wonderful people who can write so well and really make you think. I am going to post some of my old posts just because I find them interesting to re-read a year later. Unfortunately all my old comments are gone since the first commenting system suddenly went awol. I then replaced the second commenting system when it broke down too often. That system just went out and now I am back with Haloscan. In the 1 year of blogging I have only had one troll place a stupid comment about not liking Catholics which I deleted. I am insulted by this because I would have thought I would have attracted more angry anti-Catholics. Oh well, I guess my writing is not strong enough or my opinions good enough to be attracting trolls. It has been fun doing this and I have appreciated any comments left by readers. I especially like the fact that I have met people (real live people!!) through this blog, which just blew me away. I don’t read many blogs outside the parish but from what I can see, the most popular blogs are political in nature. Politics bores me-if religion is the last refuge of the scoundrel, then politics is the first. From what I can see, St. Blog’s parish has the most humorous, most deep, most thoughtful and thought-provoking bloggers around. I am proud to be a very small part of it.

No comments: