Thursday, April 29, 2004

Catholic Light has posted some excerpts from a leaked copy of the new English translation of the Mass. Some of this looks great, such as the return of "We praise you, we bless you, we worship you, we glorify you" in the Gloria. Also, I like "Lord, I am not worthy that you should come under my roof, but only say the word, and my soul shall be healed." I don't care for a few things, such as the Creed where the line "by the power of the Holy Spirit, he was born of the Virgin Mary and became man" was changed to "and by the Holy Spirit became incarnate of the Virgin Mary, and was made man". Still, I hope this is the correct translation and that I will be able to pray this way at Mass soon! Some of the prayers are closer to the english translation in my father's 1943 missal that I use when attending the traditional latin Mass. Some of the translations are gender neutral, such as "for us and our salvation" in the creed. If that makes the gender neutral crowd happy, then so much the better. Perhaps with this improved translation, we Catholics will finally be able to "just all get along".

No comments: