Wednesday, April 07, 2004

I took off from work for Holy Week, something I have done for the past 4 years. For a Liturgy nerd there is nothing better than the Easter Triduum. Even the horrible liturgists can't seem to mess that up entirely. However, one thing that I would love explained to me is why on Palm Sunday and during Holy Week, the Passion Gospel is not read in parts anymore. The priest used to read the parts marked Christ, a lector would read the narrator parts, and everyone in the pews would read the crowd part. Now, the lectors and the priest simply take turns reading sections of the Gospel, with no regard to different parts, including the words of Christ. The reading is also stopped a few times for the singer to sing "Jesus remember me when you come into your kingdom", which I don't mind since it is a beautiful refrain.

No comments: