Tuesday, January 18, 2005

Happy Blogoversary to Me, Happy Blogoversary to Me

January 18th, 2003 was the date I published my first post, so today would be my 2 year blogoversary. Looking at my first days' posts, the topics of interest to me were Catholic education, the lack of solid instruction in the faith for my generation, and the anti-Catholic Newsday. These continue to be my main areas of interest and I hope to hear from people who care to comment on these things in the future. In the past two years blogging has come a long way baby - just ask Dan Rather. While not bringing down any major MSM figures Gen X Revert did point out errors in a horrible article by Roger Friedman from Foxnews.com. The article was on The Passion of The Christ and included this statement:

"The theaters they have chosen in Jewish areas are minimal — none, for example, on Long Island near Valley Stream and the Five Towns or Great Neck and Roslyn — but screens in more friendly places like Merrick, Lynbrook and Seaford."

Using the latest sophisticated computer technology (ok Mapquest) I made the following observations:

Towns where the movies is showing compared to the towns he cites:

Lynbrook is 12 minutes (4.77 miles) from the Five Towns area
Lynbrook is 5 minutes (2.20 miles) from Valley Stream
Port Washington is 17 minutes (5.28 miles) from Great Neck
Port Washington is 13 minutes (4.38 miles) from Roslyn

And: The movie is showing in Seaford, which is in between Massapequa and Bellmore, both of which have large Jewish populations. Also, Merrick is both heavily Jewish and upscale.


Surprisingly, this impressive research did not result in a deluge of job offers, book deals, or even congratulatory phone calls from Woodward/Bernstein. We bloggers will never be fully appreciated for our efforts.

I have never cared about the blog being read by many people but I would like to see more local Catholics discover this blog. Perhaps it could be a place of discussion for Long Island Catholics. I have witnessed some good things over the past two years in this Diocese that should give all Catholics reason for hope. For example, all priests who were accused of molesting someone were removed from ministry. Even better, the number of seminarians for our diocese has doubled in the past two years. I have also noted a few changes in the Diocese and in the seminary that are positive and are probably directly related to the increase in vocations. I became involved in the local version of Theology on Tap (called Faith on Tap) and that is going well. So there are some signs of hope on this island for Catholics and I hope Gen X Revert will be the place to point them out.



No comments: