Monday, October 10, 2005

"If you don't go see Bono, the terrorists win"

Review of U2's opening night at Madison Square Garden in today's Newsday. I was there, just as I was there at opening night in Jersey a few months ago. With all the talk of a bombing plot for New York City subways I ventured out on a LIRR train and ate a nice leisurely dinner at Houlihans in Penn Station. Vertigo was played twice in Jersey and was a show highlight for me, since I was never much of a fan of U2 at the time and didn't know too many songs. This time, Vertigo was played once, and it wasn't anything special. The show opener Friday was City of Blinding Lights and it rocked. They also did Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For, with a faster, funkier beat. The whole crowd sung most of the song, and it felt like a revival. Stuck in A Moment was dedicated to that guy from INXS who killed himself, Michael Hutchens (sp?). They did Miss Sarejevo which I am told they rarely do, and it sounded good. Highlights for me were Pride (In the Name of Love) and Elevation. I have been converted to a U2 fan!

No comments: