Saturday, January 18, 2003

From the horrible anti-Catholic newspaper here on long island: an article that features an effort of Dennis Dillon, the Nassau County District Attorney, to help young men stay out of trouble. Mr. Dillon is a Catholic hero who switched parties rather than renounce his pro-life beliefs. Once, at a weeknight mass at my parish I turned around at the kiss of peace and was shocked to find myself shaking his hand. I wanted to tell him after the mass how much I respected his very public Catholicism but he was reading his prayer book and I didn't want to bother him. Mr. Dillon's devout Catholicism has earned him the hatred of Jimmy Breslin and just today I learned something about Breslin I did not know. According to the Catholic League's Catalyst newsletter, in 1990 Mr. Breslin was suspended from his newspaper for 2 weeks for calling a 25 year old Korean reporter a "yellowcur", "slant-eyed", "c---". Those of us who see his hate-filled column know this is par for the course.

No comments: