Monday, October 13, 2003

I was so offended by yesterday's reading at Mass. Our parish obviously does not use gender-neutral texts. Therefore I have rewritten the selection from the Book of Wisdom so it is gender neutral:

Therefore I prayed, and prudence was given me; I pleaded and the spirit of Wisdom came to me.

I preferred Wisdom to scepter and throne, And deemed riches nothing in comparison with him/her/it,

nor did I liken any priceless gem to Wisdom; Because all gold, in view of Wisdom, is a little sand, and before Wisdom, silver is to be accounted mire.

Beyond health and comeliness I loved him/her/it, And I chose to have Wisdom rather than the light, because the splendor of Wisdom never yields to sleep.

Yet all good things together came to me in Wisdom's company, and countless riches at Wisdom's hands;

And I rejoiced in them all, because Wisdom is their leader, though I had not known that Wisdom is the parental unit of these.

Simply I learned about Wisdom, and ungrudgingly do I share- Wisdom's riches I do not hide away



I am sure that ICEL would be proud.

No comments: