Sunday, February 29, 2004

Jami Bernard, the movie reviewer in the NY Daily News:

"In 18 years as a professional movie critic, I've never gotten the response that I had this week to my one-star review of "The Passion of the Christ."

She writes about some of the hate mail she has received, which I am sure is nothing compared to what the Catholic League has received. She also writes this interesting line:

"What interests me as a movie critic is the profusion of people who do not understand or care how to evaluate a movie."

But read her original review and see how she evaluated the movie. Did she evaluate it as a movie or as a religious statement that she did not like? Many of the reviews I have read have not focused at all on the acting, lighting, music, story development, all of which are fair game. They have focused on the controversy of a devout Catholic making a filmed Passion. Her review was probably the most extreme example of this.

No comments: