Monday, October 09, 2006

A local pastor lists 27 things to do to "get more out of Mass". I can agree with all but #12 is something I have never understood and I have heard it many times:

"12. During the readings, look at the reader; don’t use a missalette unless you have a problem with your hearing."

I try to read the readings before Mass but I also follow along while they are proclaimed for a couple of reasons. Although the lectors are quite good at the parish I currently attend, in my old parish they made an awful lot of mistakes, sometimes changing the whole meaning of a sentence. I can also really understand and follow the reading when I read along, it would not be the same if I just listened. I will continue to read along for this reason, and don't understand why some people make such a big deal out of this.

No comments: