Monday, February 18, 2008

This is the time of year when those who attend Sunday Mass faithfully each week get bombarded with appeals for money for the Diocese of Rockville Centre. While the various budget lines of the DRVC include some important things, I don't understand why the importance of the fund raising campaign has to be emphasized every year. At every Mass. By every priest. Since the people who bother to show up for the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass each week hear this appeal every year I really do not see how running down the list of things the Diocese does will help bring in more money. Here is what I would say if I were a priest at one Mass per year:

"The Diocese is having its annual appeal for funds to run its various programs. Please give if you can, as the Diocese needs money to run the Tribunal, Seminary, and other Church necessities. See the bulletin for details. Whether you give or not will not affect your eternal salvation one bit, however, and since I was ordained to the Holy Priesthood to care for immortal souls, I will not spend any more time on this. Thank you"

This would be followed by thunderous applause, which I would discourage of course, and then approximiately 5 minutes after Mass I would be sent off to some mission in Alaska or something.

No comments: