Saturday, March 08, 2003

I can appreciate the struggle of parents who take their little ones to Mass and struggle to not disturb those around them. It is ironic that those who need the graces of the Mass the most are least able to have quiet, uninterrupted Mass time. When I was young our parish had many Masses in the school auditorium because the Church was too small. I understand that my father was once told by a man next to him that if he didn’t take me out of there he would be punched in the nose. Apparently I was trying to balance a penny on my nose or something. (This was when I was a young kid, I swear). When my parents told me this story, they did not seem to think the man was out of line. One parish I went to had a babysitting service run by volunteers. Many churches have crying rooms and this seems to be a good solution. Of course teaching children how to behave in Church is very important but if the Church does not seem to a child like a special place then it is hard for them to understand how to behave. When there is no artwork, bright lighting, nothing colorful or special about the place, then children act as they would anywhere else. I am amazed at the number of children I see at the traditional latin mass and also how well behaved they are. If I had gone to this Mass when I was a child I probably would have behaved better. Maybe.

No comments: