Monday, March 03, 2003

My posts have become too negative. One reason I made this blog was to share my very positive experiences in the Church, especially in 16 years of Catholic schools. I think for Lent, I will give up negative, critical posts along with coffee. Here is one last rant before Lent:
One attitude that bugs me in many Catholics is this sense that money is bad. Making a lot of it, having a lot, the Church having a lot, all that makes some people crazy. I have a positive view of money that probably comes from growing up middle class and in the 1980’s. Of course, social justice is a huge part of Catholicism, and the plight of the poor is always foremost. But it is through education and yes, wealth-building that the poor can rise. Talking negatively about money will make people feel guilty about having it, and I don’t think it makes people more holy. I get tired of hearing priests and nuns talk about not getting attached to material goods when I have never met a practicing Catholic who is too attached. I think some people, especially those who grew up poor, have a real problem when they end up making good money or see others do well. I always figure amassing wealth is a good thing, as long as it is done legally, ethically and you don’t become attached to it. If I was a billionaire, the enormous good I could do with my loot would be incredible. The best example of this is Thomas Monaghan. What a blessing he is to the Church!

No comments: