Wednesday, February 05, 2003

Anyone who gives to charity should be careful to know first hand where their money goes, how it is spent, etc.. Get an annual report and have some personal connection to the charity so you know it is worthwhile. For Catholics, this is true in all areas of the Church. Give to those things in the church that do good work and that are committed to Catholicism. I give to my high school but not to my university. There are many Catholic organizations that may be worth giving to, but since I don’t have personal experience with them, I don’t give money to them. My parents gave for a few years to Covenant House because it sounded like they did good work, and they felt burned when it was exposed as a fraud. Covenant House inflated the numbers of street kids, had questionable accounting procedures and turned out to have many family members of Fr. Bruce Ritter on the staff. This Church is a big family, 1 billion people and growing, so you can’t just assume that all family members are honest or even decent. You should be able to but for now you can’t.

No comments: