Saturday, February 08, 2003

Like Eminem, I am cleaning out my closet. I came across a Jubilee Year program for a Mass celebrated by Cardinal Francis Arinze. The mass was held at Our Lady of Grace at 666 Albin Avenue in West Babylon. Good thing we Catholics are not dumb enough to attach any great significance to that number huh? Anyway, two things came to mind. First, I was recently shown around the parish library since I expressed an interest in starting a Catholic library. There were some things that did not belong there, such as Matthew Fox’s Creation Spirituality and the National Catholic Reporter. Probably not a big deal since the library does not seem to get much use. The other thing was what I read in my latest copy of Catholic World Report. Arinze’s first comments on the Liturgy since becoming the Prefect of the Congregation for Divine Worship include his remarking “that if priests make their own changes in the ritual, there will be as many kinds of Masses as there are priests.” He also noted that everyone involved in the liturgy should be careful not to attract attention to themselves rather than to the mysteries they celebrate. I have noticed this in priests mostly, not so much in lectors or singers. Another great quote follows: “The Church did not begin today, and will not end with me. The Church was established by the Lord, and her tradition of sacred rites cannot be changing from one day to the next”. Amen brother!

**This issue also contains another installment of the journal of “Father X” spending his vacation with the Missionaries of Charity. These have been very good and whoever this Father X is, he is a true priest.

No comments: