Sunday, February 02, 2003

Mass today was terrific- Eucharistic Prayer I was used since it was the Feast of the Presentation of the Lord. After last week's slide show, this was a welcome return to normality. The homily focused on the Holy Family which made me wish we had the Holy Family in the sanctuary. Our parish church was “renovated” in the early 80’s. The building did need renovating, it was way too small and many masses had to be held in the school gym. There were 2 fires and the basement was unusable because of a huge problem with leaks. Of course, while the renovation was excellent in fixing all these problems, the parish forgot one thing: They forgot to make the renovated Church Catholic. My parish Church has no statues of saints, no depiction of Mary and Joseph, no real candles, nothing that exudes sacredness in the main section. Mary is stuck in the side in a former doorway, and 3 saints are in the vestibule back corner. I want to suggest to the pastor and/or the parish council that we get some form of artwork of Mary and Joseph on the 2 blank white walls of the sanctuary. I am sure the parish would support this, but am unsure how to make my pitch. I am not involved in the parish at all except for attending Mass, so I would not be well known. I know that announcing that the Church is bare and has all the beauty of an old barn would be not be a good opening line. Any ideas/suggestions??

No comments: