Sunday, March 23, 2003

Asleep at the Wheel

I am not sure why I haven’t been more aware of this but there is a big conference being held on March 28th and March 29th by the Nassau County Center for Catholic Studies. I will check it out on Saturday. The program is being mailed to me so I will post more info when I get it for local people who wish to go. I have been vaguely aware of this Center as I can remember the stories of prejudice the founder, Dr. Joseph Varacalli faced when trying to start the Center. I don’t know why I haven’t paid more attention to the activities of this group. After all, it is not often that this diocese contributes much in the way of orthodoxy to the Church. Mea Culpa, Mea Culpa, Mea Maxima Culpa.

A review of Dr. Varacalli's book Bright Promise, Failed Community: Catholics and the American Public Order can be found here. Some of his writings:

Catholic Social Science And The Reconstruction Of The Social Order

For the New Millennium: the Society of Catholic Social Scientists

The Idea And Prospects Of A Center For Catholic Studies At A Public Institution Of Higher Learning





No comments: