Tuesday, March 25, 2003

Fifteen to Life: Reforming the Criminal Justice System

I should have mentioned earlier that this article by Eve Tushnet in the March issue of Crisis Magazine was excellent. (The article is not online) I had always been of the “kill ‘em all and let God sort them out” school of criminal justice, but my Catholicism once again pulls me to a more balanced (human) approach. I once worked for Dover Publications for about 15 minutes, and I remember one of the original owners of the company, Mrs. Cirker, used to get letters from prisoners asking for books. She would have us pack up books she selected for these people about once a week. I would be so angry thinking of these criminals getting free books that I would have loved to have. Now, I see things differently.

No comments: