Thursday, March 27, 2003

I would love to start a Catholic library so my books purchased over the past 2 years do more than collect dust. I checked out 1 parish library and it was a nice setup but most books were along the lines of Chicken Soup for the Soul, nice but not especially Catholic. Some were not nice or Catholic such as Creation Spirituality. It did not seem the library gets much use either. I hope to somehow establish a Catholic lending library, preferably in a parish. My idea would be to have a “Wish List” for anyone who wants to donate money or items. The Wish List would include only good, Catholic, or at least not subversive dissenters’ books, videos, cds, dvds, etc… People could donate an item in memory of a loved one, which I think is a nice way of memorializing someone. I would want to include good movies that would have some theme relating to Catholicism or Catholic values, so that people who may not be interested in a “religious” library, might be able to find things that interest them. In the dream library there would coffee and subscriptions to good Catholic magazines so people could sit and read and socialize. The primary focus of the library would be on evangelization. I found this Parish Library Website that has some good ideas. If anyone has a parish library please let me know the good, bad or the ugly.

No comments: