Tuesday, May 06, 2003

At each weekend there were small groups of guys, ranging from 5 to about 10. It has been awhile but I would say that most seemed sure of religious calling but were trying to find the right community. The weekends were good overall, but there was little follow through. The Benedictine monastery I visited seemed to be the most able to attract vocations. I don’t recall any real dissenting type stuff, but I really did not know much back then. I remember hearing the phrase “Novus Ordo” for the first time on one weekend retreat. The thing that probably turned away the most vocations was the general attitude of negativity, lack of enthusiasm, and lack of community in some of these groups. I think some of the priests and brothers were afraid to push or to be too aggressive which is probably correct. But, the guys I met on these weekends were looking for guidance and probably would have benefited from a more aggressive approach.

No comments: