Wednesday, January 29, 2003

A Catholic school could teach everything straight from the Catechism and still not be impressive though. The school has to be good academically, in fact, since we have a 2000 year old culture and pretty much invented the university, it should be very good. You inspire more people with quality than with crappiness. I remember telling a story of 1 little experience in high school that made a big impression on someone. In 9th grade English class, if we handed in a paper with a misspelled word, the brother made us write it out 25 times or something. This made you use a dictionary just to be safe. I used the phrase “florescent bulb” in one essay and of course looked it up. It came back marked misspelling so I went up to brother, kind of smug since I was pretty sure I was right, and told him I thought this might be a mistake. He said ok, look it up in the dictionary behind him, which I did. Turns out, there are two fluorescent words, one as in a bulb of that type (fluorescent) and one that means when a flower is in full bloom (florescent). Who the hell knows that??? Apparently Brother did, and now so do I.

No comments: