Thursday, January 23, 2003

"Conservatives" VS. "Traditionalists"
When I started to make serious efforts to come back to the Church, the traditionalist and conservative websites were a great help. I was searching for my culture, heritage and faith and Sr. Dissenter and Fr. Politically Correct, S.J., were no help. This is why it pains me to see the wars between these two devout Catholic groups. I guess I would be described as a semi-traditionalist. I occasionally attend the traditional latin mass, which I found in my desperate search for beautiful liturgy. Mostly I attend my parish and find I prefer the Novus Ordo when done well. Like many, I would love to combine elements of these 2 masses into one. EWTN seems to have it about right. I keep thinking that my parish and others will eventually learn and get it right, but I am getting impatient. All the energy the conservatives and traditionalists waste on each other should be wasted on the modernists/unorthodox among us or even better, spent on encouraging beautiful liturgy, artwork, teaching, etc. . My gut feeling is: the fault lies more with the conservatives who sometimes seem fearful of the rising wave of traditionalism.

No comments: