Saturday, January 25, 2003

I grew up in the 80’s so I am pretty conservative politically. When I reverted it coincided with the realization that our culture is toxic. And this lead to a greater appreciation of the Church’s teachings. Another change that occurred when I reverted was that I began to be more open to ideas when it comes to things that could be done in our country. I am leery of big government especially with the anti-Christian forces found in it today. Remember Reagan’s joke-Government is like a baby, a huge appetite at one end and no sense of responsibility at the other. But today, I find myself questioning what would be acceptable for us, a moderate government health care plan that would ensure at least basic health care for all? More government regulation of private health care? Wouldn’t either of these assist Catholics who have large families or even help encourage Catholics who might be afraid to have more children? If women were assured of basic health care for their children, would this discourage abortions? I am well aware of the dangers of this type of stuff, but right now, we already pay for people who are uninsured. These are questions I am still struggling with and I don’t have much of a set opinion on them. I find myself more able to accept some social net type of programs insofar as they would assist the culture of life. I believe in people being self-reliant and responsible of course, but lately I can see the good in having all Americans covered in health care. I am completely open to how that can be accomplished, but the One Big Plan that Hillary Clinton tried years ago would be the worst. As much as it feels weird to say, Catholicism has made me more conservative and more liberal at the same time.

No comments: