Monday, January 20, 2003

Fr. Jim has posted his Sunday homily at Dappled Things. I was glad to read this as I did not hear a homily yesterday. Normally, I attend a Mass at my parish that the recently ordained, intelligent and very orthodox priest celebrates. But yesterday he was away, and I woke up too late to get to the traditional latin mass ( #$@! satellite tv has too many good shows on at night). So the Mass I went to had a priest who spoke of the need to give to the Bishop's Annual Appeal even if we are all angry. I have no problem with a priest having to give this talk, even at Mass, but not in place of a homily. This has happened to me before when visiting other parishes-one time another talk on money and once, an urgent appeal for a volunteer to run the youth ministry. Priests should realize that the homily is a part of the Mass and they can't skip it, just like they can't skip any other part of the Mass. Leave the practical appeals to the announcement section, or do what the priest who celebrates the latin mass does: come out before the Mass begins and make announcements. Or, give a homily, even if real short and then make your appeals.

No comments: